Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 08, 2009

To Dye

I think that in my last post, I mentioned that I would be researching inexpensive dyeing methods and reporting back here in the next post.

This is that post.
(It's been a while, I know, but what can I say- this whole blogging world seems foreign after a few days away)

The browsing of blogs about dyeing turned into my browsing about spinning and eventually, my interest in plying yarn.

I did do so.With fibers that I found here on Etsy

Because I was overly cautious about spinning the single plies, my first yarn of this type has a few breaks in it. I read that there is such a thing has having too much twist, so I relaxed a bit on it and wound up with less than enough.

In this picture, you can see the single ply yarn before I took it off the spindle. I layed that gray worsted weight yarn across it to give an idea of how thin i spun it.Forgetting that this worsted weight yarn is 4-ply, I was expecting to come out with a nice weight, but instead came out with around a sport/DK kinda thick thin yarn.

It's totally fine! I'm still going to dye it using my chosen method of FOOD COLORING!

While kool-aide appears to be the least expensive, at about $.25 a pack, it's not quite what I'm looking for. I'd like to do a hand painted type of deal, but from what I've read, Kool-aide has to have water added to it, left to sit and osmos (heck yeah, that's a word!), and yadda yadda too much.

This blog, Pea Soup of the Day, which is about life, yarn things and a whole bunch of other stuff made my mind up. I've fallen in love with the knitted strawberries! and the cute kid totally helpd too. (not to mention the clear pictures, viberant colors, and easy to follow tutorial offered there)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your response to this post.