Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Broken Hooks, Crochet Flowers and Granny Daughters


A long time ago- perhaps more than a year, I bought a size c Crochet Lite hook from Michael's. I think the only reason I got it was because it was on sale, so I had not used it until recently. ( Its design doesn't fit well with the way I usually crochet)

But when I did decide to finally use it, it broke after a few minutes! I guess I should have been a little cautious of the small size and clear plastic, but when I realized that I could crochet in the dark with that thing- it was on!
It's not TOTALLY broken, but I could just bend it back and snap it off right where the one part starts getting narrow again.

I'm kind of disappointed, but what can I say- there are other hooks in the sea.

In other news...
I've been working on this pair of clips for about 4 days now. I'm wanting to cover some toddler clips and place the bows in the center, as I did with my 4th of July Clips, but I didn't consider the fact that the fabric that I'll be using to cover the clips is way lighter than the denim I used on the others. So, gluing won't really work as it kind of darkens the fabric and makes it look all yucky.

I grabbed the color scheme from a popular kid's clothing website. There are quite a few cute tops for toddlers which include purple, pink, and white along with other colors.
The colors are a bit off here
I have some polka dotted (along with a lot of other cute girly) fabrics that I purchased in a pack of remnants from the lovely ladies of bstep401 on Etsy.

Rather than struggling to find a way to get the regular, triangular shaped hair clips into a cover that still looks decent, I ordered some rectangular ones which will hopefully be easier and quicker.

Along with that, the crochet group I'm a member of, C4L has started a monthly challenge and this week's theme is Granny Squares or Motifs.
We are supposed to crochet anything that uses squares or motifs and requires some assembly.

I've decided to go with using a bunch of Granny Daughters (about 46) and assembling them into a shoulder bag.

Because this is still my favorite bag ever, and I wanted to make something fashioned after it, I decided to take the challenge to create something using the bright pink and blue yarn I for this purpose. I also had some zebra yarn(to use for the strap), but used it up on a hat and scarf set.

With only12 squares made so far, I still have a long way to go, and need it to be done by the end of this month, but I'm sure I can and will do it. I can't wait to have something to show for the idea finally!

5 comments:

  1. I love the bag idea I can't wait to see it :) You know another popular color idea for kids is the turquoise and chocolate brown or rose pink and chocolate brown. I have seen that a lot and think it is very nice :) Just another idea for ya to think about.
    De'Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks =-)

    I've picked up some turquoise ribbon lately that i can't wait to use!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For your thin fabric, you might try fusing 2 layers together using fusible web (in the interfacing section of the fabric store). That might make it heavy enough to use glue ;)

    Love all your projects as always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks mini! i think i have some of that but never thought to use it for this. i tried using some ultra bond tape, but the bond wasn't strong enough.
    I'm going to be on a roll with these babies now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lanee, I have 2 of the lighted hooks....dont care for them. The light, for me, actually distorts the view of the stitch I am working in. Might work for crocheting in a movie theatre, though...he,he,...

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete

Share your response to this post.