Search This Blog

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Homemade Lemon Cake

I have got to show you all this cake I made for my mother. Her birthday was on the 22nd, but she was away on that day, so I made it for her on Friday. We had a bit of company over Friday night, so there were plenty of tasters and opinions.

I had not made a cake from scratch since, if I remember correctly, the first grade. It's an awesome and quite simple memory for me that goes like this:
One day, I brought home a recipe for cake from school and my mother was so interested that she was willing to make it with me. And so we did!

I chose this recipe because it's pretty simple. Although it calls for all-purpose flour, I really wanted to use cake flour (because I'm SO looking forward to starting Culinary school - I'll be studying baking- in February.)
That's a long time to wait, so I think I'll get back into baking again while I look forward to starting that new adventure.
Anywho- to substitute cake flour in for all-purpose flour, all you have to do is add 2 tablespoons per 1 cup of flour.

The recipe called for 1 1/2 cup AP flour, so I used 1 12/2 cup cake flour plus 3 tablespoons of the good stuff.

My son helped me with this, doing the measuring and some of the stirring. It was just an all around great thing to do.

Now... I don't know what it is about the taste, but I didn't dig it. Every one else did (except for my son, of course)
It was the consistency of a box cake- Nice and fluffy, but not too much so, and according to the reviews on the recipe, which can be found here, it tasted more like wedding cake than birthday cake.
I thought, GREAT!
I el oh vee ee wedding cake, this is going to be so awesome!

To me, it tasted like a really fluffy cakey biscuit. I cut the cake in have to make it 2-layered and put some of the lemon cream on the inside, too
But every one else loved it, so it is what it is.

I'm going to attempt a good ole down home 7up cake next, something that is more my style. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. That cake looks delish....and your blog is so pretty too! I'm not much of a baker, and never pushed myself to be one either...kudos to you for making the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks so great..this is going to be on my list of things I need to make asap :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dee! I'm trying to make it work while including things that should be here with out crowding it.

    Michelle, are you going to try the lemon thing too? I'm craving a dense 7 up or pineapple type cake now.

    ReplyDelete

Share your response to this post.